The Stow-Munroe Falls Public Library offers free notary public service for simple documents, such as an automobile title, etc.
Notary services are available during most library hours, Monday through Saturday and an appointment is not necessary. For more information, please contact the Information Services Desk at (330) 688-3295, ext. 4.
Note: Nothing can be notarized during the last 60 minutes before the library closes or on Sundays.
- Ohio law requires that the person(s) signing the document(s) to be notarized appear in person and present proper identification. Valid forms of identification are: Current Driver’s License, State-Issued ID, US Passport, US Military ID, or a US Permanent Resident Card (“Green Card”). If you are under 18, please bring a certified copy of your birth certificate or a current school ID (with photo). International Identification Cards and / or International Driver’s Licenses cannot be accepted.
- Patrons must bring their own witnesses, if needed. The library does not provide witnesses, and witnesses may not be solicited from staff or library patrons.
- Documents to be notarized must contain a Notary Public jurat or acknowledgment certificate. If the document(s) does not include this, the Notary will have to attach a certificate to the document, before it can be notarized.
- All documents requiring notarization must be unsigned. Do not sign the document(s) you are having notarized. Document(s) must be signed in front of the notary in order to be valid.
Note: In the State of Ohio, notaries cannot certify documents. We cannot certify copies of passports, Driver’s Licenses, birth certificates, marriages, death certificates, divorce, or naturalization certificates.
Documents that we are unable to notarize:
- Last Will and Testaments
- Any Real Estate Transactions, including Quit Claim Deeds
- Corporate Documents
- Documents with more than ten (10) pages.
- Documents which require an electronic signature
- Foreign Passport or Visa Applications (please contact the Twinsburg Public Library)
Frequently Asked Questions
What if I forget to bring my identification?
We will not be able to notarize any documents for you at that time.
Do all blanks have to be filled in before I have my document notarized?
Yes. Blank spaces not used in a document should have a line drawn through them so that no one can add to the terms of the document after it was signed.
I need my birth certificate notarized. What should I do?
If you were born anywhere in Ohio, go to the Dept. of Vital Statistics at the Kent City Health Department, 414 E. Main St., Kent, OH, or to Summit County Public Health, 1867 W Market Street, Akron OH and obtain a certified copy of your birth certificate.
Can you notarize a document that is in a language other than English?
Yes, as long as the signer of the document is able to effectively communicate with the notary WITHOUT a translator. If foreign documents do not have the notary certificate in English, the notary will have to attach another certificate.
If the signer cannot communicate in English, please contact:
International Institute of Akron
20 Olive St. Suite 201
Akron, Ohio 44310
Can you come to my nursing / assisted living facility or home to notarize documents?
No. You must come to the library in person (and with proper ID) to have documents notarized.
Can you provide legal advice regarding my document?
No. A Notary Public is not a licensed attorney. If you have legal questions about your document, we recommend you consult an attorney.
Can you notarize my I-9 form?
I-9 forms cannot be notarized. However, a notary can serve as your company's authorized agent and witness that you have shown the proper documents.
When are notaries available at the Stow-Munroe Falls Public Library?
Notaries are available during most library hours on weekdays, evenings, and weekends except for Sundays. Note: Nothing can be notarized during the last 60 minutes before the library closes or on Sundays.